Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Marathon Jitters

When I registered at The Bull Runner Dream Marathon 2013 about 5 months ago, I was really excited to run my first Marathon on this race. I have the confidence that I can do this one flawlessly since I still have time to train and given the fact that I now do swim trainings. But now that the race is gonna be a month from now, the confidence faded away.

I admit I was not able to follow the marathon training plan that was given to us and I don't want to justify it by saying that I have work and I have a family to take care of because most of the event participants have the same situation as I do, maybe even tougher.


Even if I end up like this, as long as I finish, I'm good! (photo from jodibeacon.blogspot.com)


Just this Saturday, the TBR Session 4 was held at Nuvali in Laguna. 3 hours of running on a route where I was told that will be a part of the road that we we'll conquer come Dream Marathon day. I am so curious to try the route to get a feel of what's going to happen to me on the big day. I made sure I conditioned myself for the LSD together with my batchmates. I told myself that I will try my very best to stick to the pack that I will go with.

At the last minute, Jaymie provided a shuttle service that will bring selected runners to Nuvali from ROX in Bonifacio Global City and back. I am fortunate enough to be picked as one of the shuttle service riders for this day so I saved on fare and the hassle of driving with Johanah going to Nuvali.

We arrived at Nuvali just before the session started. Coach Lit Onrubia divided us into 4 interval groups: The 1:2 group which I went with, the 1:3, the 4:3 and the running all the way.

Me, Johanah and Clarissa before the LSD starts


It was still dark the time we started. I regret not being able to bring a head lamp or blinkers because I had a hard time seeing in the dark. Despite that, I was able to stick to the pace of the group, and I even positioned as one of the lead in our pack. After one loop, it started to drizzle that made it harder for me to see so when we arrived back for a quick CR break at the area I put my glasses back in my bag.

I ran 9K in an hour based from the watch of my groupmate. Sadly, my GPS failed me just when I needed it the most. I need to get it to the repair center. I just used it to monitor my time.



The second loop I am still in shape and still in the lead pack of our group. Because I wasn't wearing my glasses I followed the wrong person and got lost and now I was with the run all the way group. I was wondering why the person infront of me is not stopping but at the loop I saw my groupmates again and tried to catch up with them.


Just a few runners remaining on the route! More on the back. That's a long uphill there!


On the second hour I lost it and I started walking. My legs gave up on running and my body is feeling the hard work. I was tempted to do the shortcut but doing so, I wouldn't measure the distance. I didn't have water for the last 9 or 10 Kilometers in the scorching hot sun and it was so hard. I felt burned out. I want to stop, I wanna go home!

Surprisingly, I finished the course of 26.5K in 3 hours 53 minutes without any injuries. I'm just sore, so thirsty and hungry! Then I overheard that the course will be twice come TBRDM. Oh geez! I lost my remaining hopes...

After that, I realized that I am not ready for a marathon, and the sudden feeling of worry struck me. I chose to call it a marathon jitters...



How long is a Marathon anyway?

According to Wikipedia, a Marathon is a long-distance running event with an official distance of 42.195 kilometres (26 miles and 385 yards), that is usually run as a road race. The event was instituted in commemoration of the fabled run of the Greek soldier Pheidippides, a messenger from the Battle of Marathon, to Athens.

Luc-Olivier Merson's painting depicting Pheidippides giving word of victory at the Battle of Marathon to the people of Athens
So you'll get an idea how long it really is, it's the distance between Luneta Park (Kilometer 0) to Dasmarinas near Silang, Cavite (Kilometer 42.195). A 51 minute continuous drive to Emilio Aguinaldo Highway. If you're using South Luzon Expressway, it's from Luneta Park to the end of Eton City in Sta. Rosa near Calamba Laguna, can be reached by driving continuously in around 39 minutes.

I keep on thinking of the distance everyday, and I can't help it. I know I still can do some preparations for myself even if I still have a month to go.

Until recently, I witnessed an incident that a runner collapse on a 21K course at PSE Bull Run last January 13, 2013, and after learning that he did not make it, made me realize that running a distance is indeed no joke.

I don't know how to shake this thing off because no matter how I divert my attention, it still haunts me. Maybe the only thing to take the fear out is get it over and done with.

Just a month to go before my first marathon. Wish me luck!

Good Vibes everyone and Sweet Running! ^_^

4 comments:

artistmonk said...

I wish you nothing but the best! Have fun!

NOEL said...

It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop. Good luck!

Ann S. said...

Kaya mo yan! Have fun while you're at it. Pagkatapos nyan, you might just miss the journey (training, including the people you trained with). =)

Anonymous said...

You're going to be great. Let's have fun on Feb. 24. See you soon batch mate! :)