Friday, February 21, 2014

My 6th Months without Rice! Sweet Life On Paleo Diet

After I joined Cobra Ironman 70.3 in Cebu last August 2013, and pigged out there (How can you not when you're in Lechon haven?), I noticed I added a significant amount of weight, which I wanted to lose so badly. Knowing me I'm good at crash dieting. It does work but it takes its toll on my strength and my health, and the result is not really a great loss at all. Most of all, my blood sugar went ballistic at that time, my HbA1c result is depressing, scored 9 in the test and that is too high (Normal should be around 6 or lower). So then I started on Paleo, and life has never been the same again.

Now I realized that it has already been 6 months since I broke up my long term relationship with Carbs (Wow! Time flies so fast, did I had fun? Lol!). We Filipinos grew up eating rice as a staple food in the household so imagine what I have to go through just to get this far. So this half year mark needs to be celebrated! I am rewarding myself with a half roll of cake!



Why did I chose Brazo De Mercedes even though my favorite in the world is a Chocolate Cake? First of all, Chocolate Cake is made up of flour so I also broke up with it. It does hurt but I have moved on already. Going back to Brazo De Mercedes, though it's not purely Paleo, this cake is "grain and flour free". It's mostly made of eggs, butter, milk and cream. If you can make your own and replace butter and milk with something Paleo approved like Sunflower Butter and Soya Milk, and even use natural sweeteners like Stevia or Blue Agave to make it diabetic-friendly, it can pass the Paleo standards.

I know what you're thinking, What is Paleo Diet? How can I do it? What does it do to a person's health? Will I lose weight? Will it regulate my blood sugar? What can I eat and what should be avoided? and the frequently asked question of all: "How did you make it for 6 months without Rice, Noodle, Pasta, Bread, Starch and Flour?" Well, I'm gonna answer all those questions on my next blog post!

For now, let me enjoy the sweet reward I truly deserve!

Good Vibes everyone and Sweet Running! ^_^


1 comment:

Blogger said...

Having Trouble FOLLOWING with your Paleo Diet?

Do you want to munch on some tasty recipes TONIGHT?

Get your amazing Paleo Hacks Cookbook.