Saturday, August 13, 2011

A 7-7-11 Accident at Lawton Avenue, McKinley

They say 7 and 11 are lucky numbers, but I guess I wasn't included on the lucky ones on the day of 7-7-11...

I had a horrible accident last July 7. It has been a while then since I planned my recovery run but because of the bad weather and some procrastinating moments I had I always cancel them. But this time I said to myself "No more excuses lazy girl! rain or storm you should run!" and I did.

I arrived earlier at BGC and I prepped up for our usual training run. I was surprised when Coach Carina said we'll do endurance training, BGC to McKinley and back on easy pace. I got excited! I miss that route so even if I am running for recovery I still joined the group who ran going there. I initially did 2 loops warm up so I am sure I can finish the route with them.

It was a nice run with my fellow runners, some are old, and some are new. I am trying to catch up with their pace and I am happy that I now can. At Lawton Avenue going to McKinley hills, we noticed that there are some "Holes" at the pedestrian sidewalk that are not visible. We managed to avert them while going to McKinley.

I broke away from the group at the Venice Piazza going back to BGC. I was about to have hypoglycemia so I need to go to a convenience store to grab some electrolyte drink to replenish it and my thirst as well since I almost finish the water on my hydration belt. I skipped the part where they have to go around Accenture Building. After that I was running alone back to base.

I was gradually increasing my pace when suddenly, a bright light coming from a vehicle blinded my sight and at a split second, I find myself hanging on a stone with my left arm, my foot were hanging on an open hole on the sidewalk, and I was barely breathing.

I was hanging on much like this, but my stomach was on the edge of the hole and my right arm was stuck so it was my left arm who saved me. (Image from

After a few seconds I managed to get myself out of the hole. I stopped and checked on myself, if I have deep wounds or scars. I found a very deep wound on my right leg and a huge bruise on my left arm. Surprisingly, it is not painful. I even managed to get back to BGC by walking.

One skin layer is the only thing left that covers the bone.
The skin on my elbows were scraped on the pavement. It's the most painful of all. Ouchies!!!
The shirt I used. So filthy!

My runner friends suggested I should go to the hospital the soonest. But since I don't feel pain yet (Self confessed hard headed!) I just went home to rest. Now I proved that the rumors are true. The most painful part of the accident is the next day. When I opened my eyes I felt the extreme pain from my left arm, it's broken!
I used my bib belt as a temporary support to my broken arm. Now that's being resourceful!

I went to the hospital later that day to have everything checked. The Doctor scolded me because I should have came in immediately after the incident because I might acquired Tetanus...

What is Tetanus?

According to, Tetanus, also known as lockjaw, is a serious but preventable disease that affects the body's muscles and nerves. It typically arises from a skin wound that becomes contaminated by a bacterium called Clostridium tetani, which is often found in soil.

Once the bacteria are in the body, they produce a neurotoxin (a protein that acts as a poison to the body's nervous system) known as tetanospasmin that causes muscle spasms. The toxin can travel throughout the body via the bloodstream and lymph system. As it circulates more widely, the toxin interferes with the normal activity of nerves throughout the body, leading to generalized muscle spasms. Without treatment, tetanus can be fatal.

Now that it has been a month after I reported the incident to the City Government of Taguig, they have already took action and filled up the hole but still it is open.

If there is one good thing that this accident has taught me, it is to take care and take extra precautions when running at night. I have been so comfortable running I forgot to pay attention to the road. This is where running with a mate is very much encouraged. I wonder what would happen if I fell inside the hole and I was with no one...

Another thing I discovered is that my wound healing is now faster. Unlike before that it took weeks for a small cut to heal completely. At this moment, my arm wounds are completely healed and my leg wound is healing in progress. There just this little pain on my shoulder that I feel whenever I lift heavy weights but it is gradually decreasing over time.

Since accidents do happen no matter how much we try to avert it, here are some of my tips:

1. Always bring a mobile phone.
2. Wear a reflective clothing.
3. Let your family/friends know where you will run.
4. Run with a group/buddy and stay close to them!
5. Wear a Smart ID or anything that will be used for your identification and information.
A Smart ID contains your personal information and medical conditions. Just clip it on your shoe. It is reflectorized! You can get one at A Runner's Circle Store. Thanks Sir Raul of ARC! ^_^ (Sorry my Empress is dirty!)

6. Tone down your mp3 players, low enough to hear the noise from the environment.
7. Always be alert.

I am so thank God that nothing major has happened to me.

I do hope that this incident won't happen to anyone ever again. Wishing you all a safe and happy weekend run!

Good Vibes everyone and Sweet Running! ^_^

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"shit happens"