Monday, December 12, 2011

The Other Side Of Running - Michelle Estuar's FUNd Racing Event

Runners always concentrate on joining race events every weekends to compete or enjoy the route with friends. But runners who concentrate on organizing a race events for their fellow runners is a different thing. A very different experience indeed!

Last October, my good friend Francis Razon, owner of Eat Pray Run asked me if I want to volunteer in organizing a small fund raising event. Ofcourse I wouldn't say no. I am always in support of these races for a cause, and it's not my first time to volunteer. If you can remember I volunteered at Run For Japan, where we raised half a million pesos for Japan's relief. It may be small but it can make a difference.




There were lots of runners who volunteered as well, taking time off their everyday routines just to help in planning and organizing the event. Since I have a very constricted work schedule, I didn't have a chance to be a part of the planning. I'm just glad that Facebook gave us a way to communicate, the reason why I was updated and had a way to send out my comments and suggestions towards the group, Team Tireless!


Team Tireless was officiated by 30 runners who were pioneers in helping out Michelle Estuar in her race event named Michelle Estuar's FUNd Racing For the Kids of Tuloy Foundation. Some of them I know but most are not but we are united because of one noble cause, to make this event a success for the benefit of the children!

We are planning to continue the spirited teamwork through volunteering on races for a cause. We will never get tired of doing noble causes, we love the running community and we love charity.

The beneficiary of this race is Tuloy Foundation. What is Tuloy Foundation? Tuloy Foundation, Inc. is a non-government, not-for-profit organization registered with the Philippine Securities and Exchange Commission in 1996 and licensed and accredited by the Department of Social Welfare and Development to “provide residential care services for children and youth”. It was founded in 1993 by Fr. Marciano “Rocky” G. Evangelista of the Salesians of Don Bosco with ten lay volunteers committed to the cause of poor, abandoned, homeless children. It pursues the charism of St. John Bosco who dedicated himself to the care and training of poor boys in the 1800’s.

The event was held November 30th, an official holiday. But ofcourse in my work there's no holidays so after my shift (1:00AM), I went straight to Ultra Oval to help out. I was one of the volunteers for the Post Race Kit Distributions.

Fellows setting up our booth

I know I was tired and sleepy but my body just continued to work and work. I was so stimulated and hyped up that I was always roaming around and checking out if I can be of help to anyone. I even visited other booths and perked them up, also the other runners who went in to register onsite!


I was at the Registration Booth saying "Good Morning" to everyone who comes and register! ^_^

After setting up and making sure that we're good to go, we went to the Starting Line to be Marshals there. Besides our task we try our best to utilize ourselves on different chores since we are just few. That's multitasking at it's finest!

The youngest runner was a 2 years old kid and he's the most adorable of all! Michelle can't get over his cuteness she even joined him on the 400m run around Oval. SWEET! ^_^


Michelle with the cutie marathoner in the making! ^_^


Good points about this race:
1. Runners organized it, so the needs are provided accurately.
2. Running Groups actively participated. They even set up their own hydration booth all over the race course!
3. Gunstart observed on the dot.
4. For a minimum Php100 donation, getting a post race kit goodies is a steal!
5. Ice cream is a nice treat for runners after getting all sweaty.
6. Post Race Shirts are a big hit! I love them!!! ^_^

Something that needs improvement:
1. The gun to be used should be working properly before they hand them to Michelle. LOL! ^_^
2. Some runners reported cheaters on a loop somewhere. I guess we lack Marshals. Hope more people will help next time.


Here are some of the pictures I took from the event: (I even had the power to be a photographer! Hyper!)


The Happy Runners at the starting line, all smiles! :)

Michelle and Michelle at the starting line. :P

Team Tireless really looks tireless right?

Idol Wilnar and Francis acted as The Super Scoopers! Wilnar looks tired but happy, like this was harder than his BDM 160K race! LOL ^_^

Long queue of runners waiting for their turn for the freebies! ^_^

The Post Race Kit Team just wanna have FUN! ^_^

Special thanks to Francis Razon of Eat Pray Run for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this wonderful race event, to the Post-Race Distribution Committee who became my instant friends, to Team Tireless for not getting tired of my excuses not going to the meetings (LOL!), to ARC Philippines for their warm support, to my friends at Lifeline Foundation for showing love to this cause, to Michelle Estuar for the bravery and heart to push through this kind of events and most especially to all the runners who took part in this noble cause. It would not be possible without all of you!

Running a race is tiresome, but organizing a race is a hundred times more tedious! But seeing the runner's smile and the good gestures of gratitude brings a great feeling, and to think that at the end of the day you've helped for a good cause, it eases out everything! Even if I have to go to work without sleep, I still wore a nice smile on my face. It gave more meaning to life, it made it a lot sweeter!


Beautiful Tireless People at the Start/Finish Line! (Photo by Yongski)

I was told that this event will be a yearly one so I'm looking forward to next year for this! November 30th is already booked, hope you guys do the same too!

I'm so happy to gain new friends because of this event, and because of the Post Race Shirt I wore at work, the running group in the office finally found me at last! ^_^

See you all again on our next race that we will volunteer in. Watch out for Team Tireless!

Good Vibes everyone and Sweet Running! ^_^

No comments: