Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Hypoglycemia Story

What is hypoglycemia? according to medicinenet.com,

"Hypoglycemia is the clinical syndrome that results from low blood sugar. The symptoms of hypoglycemia can vary from person to person, as can the severity. Classically, hypoglycemia is diagnosed by a low blood sugar with symptoms that resolve when the sugar level returns to the normal range. Patients may experience any of the following;
  • nervousness,
  • sweating,
  • intense hunger,
  • trembling,
  • weakness,
  • palpitations, and
  • often have trouble speaking."
The counterpart of which is called Hyperglycemia.

People are often mistaken on having the idea that Diabetes only pertains to a high blood sugar levels, they are not aware that some are diagnosed as Diabetics because they have low blood sugar levels.

I've started a LSD (Long Slow Distance) Run last December with my friend, Cheryl Anne. The route starts at Bonifacio High Street, Old Lawton, Heritage Park, end of Lawton Ave. and back to BHS. We planned it to prepare for our upcoming races and to have a bonding moment as well. I've been constantly doing it since then. It was a memorable one since its the first and we saw the marathoners of Milo. We even had free hydrations on the pitstops! We also saw Coach Carina, volunteering as a bike support.

The second time I did LSD Run was with Erald. It was fun as well though no free hydrations were available since there's no race that day. Because of his high level of fitness, I was forced to add additional mileage for him not to get bored of me. So we added Mc Kinley Hills to the route. I never thought that uphill will be so steep. I had a difficult time running upwards.

After that run I still have some energy to walk home but when I arrived I was really wasted. I took my insulin shot since it's gonna be time for dinner. I sit in the kitchen and waited for a few minutes, then I felt sleepy. I told my mom I'll just gonna lay down on the sofa. After a while I didn't notice I was already asleep.

I opened my eyes, I felt so nervous. My heart was beating twice faster than it usually did. I was sweating cold all over. My vision was unclear...

I remembered feeling this 11 years ago. It was then my first time to take my insulin shots and I was on the adjustment period. I was so weak and can't barely move.

My brain is still active then. I know what to do. I need to eat! But at that moment I was almost immobilized. I was beginning to feel frightened. I don't want to be comatosed. No one was near me that moment so I cannot seek for help. It's just me now. I need to do something fast!

I closed my eyes and I tried to move my body and gladly it did. I rolled myself until I fell down the floor. That sudden bump gave me the feeling of pain that induced the movement of my body. I tried crawling to the kitchen to find something to eat to alleviate my blood sugar. I opened the refrigirator. There's a yellowish liquid on the pitcher. I opened and smelled it. It is the fruit cocktail syrup my mom was saving for her meat marinade. I took a sip, it was really nasty! The extreme sweetness that I really hate. I just ignored it. I took in almost half a cup.

I sit down on the chair. After a few seconds the cold sweat were eventually warming up. My eyes are starting to clear out again. I can now move my body effortlessly and lastly, my heartbeat started to slow down and normalize.

My Mom came to the kitchen and asked me what happened. I told her the story. She was so worried. I can see her resentment because she was not around that time. I told her I'm okay and it's not really a major issue but deep inside me I was afraid.

After the longest time I felt hypoglycemia again. I don't know if it's a good news or a bad news since I am the type of person that is always hyperglycemic. I talked to a doctor and he told me that it's a combination of good news and bad news. Good news because the body is now reacting more on the insulin, it is becoming more sensitive because of me being active into running, but the bad news is, now I need to be cautious with this condition. Now at my condition there's two that I have to watch out for really closely, the high blood sugar and the low blood sugar.


I am taking this experience on a positive note. I don't want to think that because of this, I will have more difficulty in training for my upcoming races. All I know is that I will still continue to run, despite the fact of having another concern on my health. As I always say "Determination beats all odds".

Let's keep on running!

Good vibes to everyone!

No comments: